Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Gift Getting

FADE IN:

A father and son gather around his birthday presents. The father beams with pride as his son carefully chooses the first gift. The son's eyes lock in like radar on the largest box of the bunch.

SON
Dad, can you help me open it up?

FATHER
Sure thing.

They work together in perfect synchronicity tearing the paper with purpose. They pull back in awe of what was found.

SON
Cool!

FATHER
Let me help you open the box.


SON
Oh, man, a Power Ranger. Awesome!

FATHER
Let me pull this out of the plastic.
Hold on, there are some wires to untangle.


SON
Hurry, hurry!

FATHER
I'm trying, hold on. There are some fasteners in the back.
Man, they are not playing around here.


FATHER
Voila!


FATHER
For Christ's sake, there are more fasteners!?

SON
Mommy says that's a bad word.

FATHER
You're right son, that'll be our little secret. 
Let me get these off.


FATHER
Are you shitting me? 
These are wrapped around the axle!

SON
Mommy says that's a bad word too.

FATHER
No one likes a tattle-tale. So just zip it.
Let me get this wire out of the axle.


FATHER
Rubber bands? Rubber f*cking bands!

SON
Mommy...

FATHER
I know what Mommy says. Do you see Mommy around? No.
I just see you and me. So why don't you just
sit criss-cross applesauce and shut your trap.


The Father struggles impatiently with the tangled web of rubber bands and wires. His grunts morph into a loud roar. His son scootches back on the linoleum in fear.

SON
Dad, you're turning green.

The Father's pants begin to rip at the seams as he continues to struggle with the imprisoned present.

FATHER
Let me get this out. AHHHHHHHHHH!


SON
Daddy, No!

FATHER
Run, son. Before it's too late. 
This is between me and the present. 
RUNNNNNNNNNN!

FADE TO BLACK

No comments: